Friday, August 27, 2010

Post Crazy

That's me today.  Can you tell Mike is out of town?

The cat is sick again.  Can you tell Mike is out of town?  ha!  The dog has also been sick.  Remind me again why we're getting a second dog?  Oh... that's right.  We're crazy.

I've been plagued by migraines for several years.  It started when I was 20 and sort of went away when I got on birth control.  I started cycling through my pills to avoid having them.  In April I spoke with my doctor about my migraines and she gave me a hormone patch and some migraine medicine.  I had completely forgotten about the migraines when I chose to go off hormonal birth control.  Dr. S asked me what I planned to do about the migraines and I had no idea.  I hoped that they were a thing of the past.

They're not.  It started Wednesday only I didn't recognize the signs.  Tab and I were going for happy hour and I couldn't walk straight.  This was before the drinks.  I just felt dizzy.  By the time we got back to her house that night, my head was in full on headache mode.  I downed some water and tried to sleep it off.  The next day I started taking Excedrin hoping to keep the migraine away.  I had stuff to do that day.  Today... same story.  I came home from work and took a Trexmet and hoped for the best.  I think at that point my psyche finally succumbed to what I had been fighting.

Next thing I know, I'm squeezing my head and sobbing.  I was so scared.  I've never had to go through the pain of a migraine alone and this was by much worse than anything else I had every experienced.  My neck hurt, I wanted to throw up and I couldn't stop crying which was only making it worse.  I was considering going to hospital but knew I couldn't drive.  I have a really hard time asking people for help. What if they took me and I felt better?  I'd feel stupid.  I sent a text message to my good friend Dr. Dennis  asking him about drug interactions.

Let me say that I was very disappointed with my body at this point.  Here I am trying to better myself by not taking prescription drugs and now I want to know about drug interactions?!  Big sigh.

Anyway.  I feel much better now.  The soma helped more than anything else.  My forehead was so tense that I looked like I had a scowl on my face.  It was so painful.

The purpose of this post is to ask what YOU do for migraines.    When I worked for a Chiropractor, that totally did the trick but I'm not in a place financially to see a chiro a few times a week.  This bums me out beyond belief but it is one of my goals.  I know a few patients we had used a spray product that would help with their headaches and I WISH I remembered what it was.

I'm all about naturopathic remedies so please share yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment