Friday, August 27, 2010

Diaphragm Fun

Last Friday I had an appointment with my gynecologist to get fitted for a diaphragm.  Diaphragms seem so.... last century to me.  Anyway, going in there I had no idea what to expect and boy was it interesting.

Dr. S came in the room and asked what I was there for.  I explained that we had recently decided to stop using hormonal birth control and would like to try out the diaphragm.  After re-acquainting herself with my cervix she began explaining how the diaphragm works.  She squeezed about a half gallon of thick jelly lube in to the diaphragm while explaining that we'd need to use spermicide with it but for learning, lube would be fine.  She filled the entire thing with lube.... it was oozing everywhere.  She squeezed it in half and popped it right in.  Well, not right in.  I jumped a little and we laughed.  She told me that she'd leave the room to give me some privacy with my new friend.  I need to get up and walk around the room, squat down, put my leg up on the bed.... really get a feel for it...because I shouldn't feel it at all.  After that, she suggested that I remove the diaphragm and then practice putting it back in.  Once it's in, repeat the walking/squatting/leg lifting.  She'd be back to check on my placement in a few minutes.

Easy enough, right?  Walk, squat, lift.  We're good.  Remove?  Takes a little bit of work to un-suction it but I got it.  The edges of a diaphragm are super springy.  It's a bit more difficult to squeeze together than I thought it would be.  In fact, as I squeeze it together, the slippery little sucker goes flying in to the air and flings lube all over the place.  I dive for the device and catch it, thankfully.  *whew*  It's not the most comfortable thing to put in but I manage and repeat the walk/squat/lift and all is well.  I hop back in the stirrups and patiently wait for her return.

I got an A+ for placement! Trips to the lady doctor are always a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment